Adding Custom Plugin Support

• This thread has been brought up many times before but in 2022, custom plugins should be supported. Famous competitors such as Minehut have switched from a built in plugin selector to allowing the community to build their own projects. As a plug-in developer this is something I would like to see implemented into Aternos. I was unhappy with the limited or outdated selections that Aternos had to offer and plugins such as Skript were suggested to be updated many times on the forums but the staff refused because the releases were not on Spigot or Bukkit. It is very easy to pull releases from GitHub using their api and I’m sure if Aternos can create a server network, they can use an api.

The plug-in system has deterred some people from purchasing or using the Aternos network, a community server I participate in was unhappy with how limited their options were with Aternos. An Aternos staff member explained how players could abuse plugins however, the competitor Minehut was able to restrict plugins functionality such as, you cannot force resource packs on players through plugins, you cannot use bots to keep your server online and much much more.

To sum up, these are just some things that Aternos should consider for the community and how the servers could be marketed, I will happily switch to Aternos for my host because of their current server quality if these implementations occur. Thank you for reading through this and I hope that you could consider changing up some of Aternos’s features.

- Zer0Calib3r

• Official Post

It is very easy to pull releases from GitHub using their api and I’m sure if Aternos can create a server network, they can use an api.

Check this why we don't support Github: RE: Less limits to where the Plugins can come from

I was unhappy with the limited or outdated selections that Aternos had to offer

Tbh. That plugins are outdated is out of our control. If the plugin developers just stop updating it or move to a platform that we can not support we can't really change that.

In the special case of "Skript", there is also the fact that it is not only hosted on a platform that is not supported by us - but also offers far-reaching possibilities to run the server 24/7 or to bypass other limits on our part. Otherwise we would have probably, similar to Geyser, already built a custom solution to offer this plugin.

The plug-in system has deterred some people from purchasing or using the Aternos network

Aternos is totally free. There's no way to pay.

the competitor Minehut was able to restrict plugins functionality such as, you cannot force resource packs on players through plugins, you cannot use bots to keep your server online and much much more.

Minehut has different possibilities since their system works completely different under the hood. While Minehut is more like a classic Minecraft network (with a proxy and such stuff), on Aternos each Minecraft server stays on its own. Players are directly connected to the server, instead of a proxy. Both designs have their pros and cons.

Custom plugins will probably be supported somewhere in the future, I think.

In theory, we already have solutions in sight for the major hurdles. But it is a very big effort for us to implement them. In addition, from our point of view the uploading of own plugins is mainly demanded by a rather small but very loud group, which is not necessarily in the target group we want to reach with our platform.

Therefore, we currently see the effort in this matter greater than the benefit.